Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Found Footage Fest 2012: The Tunnel


I realize this is late as hell, but better late than never, no? Anyway, I've had this movie on my radar for awhile. The idea behind it was a group of people in Australia funded the movie through a Kickstarter like thing and torrent downloads! I know, great idea, huh? I should do some projects like that....

Anyway. The story behind the movie is the Australian government came up with a neat idea to recycle water: use these underground reservoirs that aren't being used! There's just water! Sitting there! Crazy! But while starting the process, the government suddenly stops and offers no reason why.

So it's up to a plucky film crew to figure out why! And that's our story.

I'm not gonna lie, this isn't gonna be a long review. It's like trying to write a full 500 page review on "The Blair Witch Project", you just need the basic set up and what happens and what I thought and that's it.

The film crew consists of Natasha, Tangles, Steve, and Pete and they go into the tunnels to look around. It's typical at first, with them roaming around, looking at shit, talking to the camera, and setting up a creepy vibe.

And there is a creepy vibe. I would NOT want to be down in those tunnels at any time. Then SHIT starts happening. Tangles leaves to get some audio and suddenly he goes missing. They find a shit ton of blood and go "oh shit" and soon must get out of there.

Things get MORE creepy when we see one of the people puts a camera down, but then SOMEONE else that we don't know picks up the camera and films them secretly! WHOA!

So what's happening? Basically, there are creatures who live in the dark. It's "The Descent" and "CHUD". That's basically it. One of the other guys gets attacked and killed, they run around until they find a way out and guess what? THEY LIVE! It's amazing!

Overall, the movie is good at setting up a scary tone and keeping your interest and wondering what's happening. The scares are good and I was worried for the people the entire movie. I say give this movie a shot, you will be surprised.



-Jason

2 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

This actually sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out, thanks for posting!

deadlydolls said...

Funny, I just reviewed this one today, and I mostly agree with you. It's definitely upper tier found footage indies, but it doesn't bring anything too new to the genre. A good enough way to pass some time.