Saturday, August 18, 2007

Coming Up in 2009: The Body Snatchers

How many times is the same movie gonna get made? First we get "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" in 1956:


Which from what I can tell is a good enough of a movie. It stars a young Kevin McCarthy (who went one to appear in a bunch more other movies, including "UHF") and it's a creepy ass story: aliens from outer space steal our bodies when we sleep. That's pretty fucked up.

Then 1978 came and we get, well, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers":


This time we get Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy (This movie is so far back that Jeff Goldblum is in it but he doesn't get a mention in the trailer.) This one I have seen and it is a pretty good movie. I'm unsure how the original ends, but this version has the most fucked up ending I've ever seen in a sci-fi/horror movie.

So now it's 2007. And what do we get? "The Invasion". No Body Snatchers. Just "The Invasion":


This time we get the AWESOME star power of Nicole Kidman. Yep, instead of the main lead be a male like in the first two films, this time we focus on a woman. Oh and, her kid. You gotta throw a kid into the mix, you know, for sympathy sakes.

Whoever put this trailer together did a pretty good job cause it actually makes me wanna see it. But I doubt I'm gonna spend 8 or 9 bucks to see it in theater. I'll just wait until it hits the video store.

If you thought I had something snarky to say about remakes, sorry to dissapoint you. But whatever I would say has been said at least a thousand times by other people. I'm also not gonna tell you if you should see this or not. That's up to you. But I would say if you wanna see a good horror/sci-fi movie about aliens taking over our bodies, rent the first two. Especially the Donald Sutherland version.
-Jason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is one of my favorite movies ever. Even though the director and actors swear that it has nothing to do with communism and the "Red Scare" of the 50's, it fits perfectly.

I haven't seen the one made in the 70's yet, but from what I hear it's a more artistic movie than the original. I'll probably see it next week when it plays on a double bill with John Carpenter's The Thing (which I think is the most over-rated horror movie of all time). I've heard mixed reviews about The Invasion. I'm in no hurry to see it.