Friday, June 20, 2008

Five For Friday: June 20th

(Edit: I changed the name of this feature cause while reading Lazy Eye Theater's blog, I see he has a Top Five Tuesday. His is a list of movies where mine is just 5 things from the top of my head, but still.)

Here are the top five things going on in the past, present and future for June 20th, 2008!

1. Be Kind, Rewind is out on DVD. And it seems like people were rather harsh towards it. I haven't seen it yet, but if I get to a video store this weekend I'm definately renting it. One of the problems I've heard about is how it's about a VHS rental place. Going solely by the trailer, I kinda assumed:
-maybe it took place in the early-to-middle '90's when VHS was still around and DVD wasn't in yet, or just so new that a lot of places didn't have them yet. Yet again, I'm just going by the trailer. The movies featured were Robocop, Ghostbusters, Boyz N The Hood, Driving Miss Daisy, and The Lion King. I don't see any mention of "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" or even like "Batman Begins".
or
-if it does take place in the present, maybe it's one of those small towns where there are no major video store chain (like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video), and the residents of said town are happy with their VHS choices, so they keep the VHS-only shop in business. Like, the residents aren't hardcore movie goers like you and me, but enjoy a movie now and then. Be like "Dude! I got this baggie of weed, dude! We should, like, rent that robot movie about a cop and watch it!!! What's it called again?"
I'm just concerned cause it's a Michel Gondry movie, who is like 100% awesome in my book, so I can't even figure out how this movie can't be good on some level.

2. Also out on DVD is Fool's Gold. Anybody who seen the movie, can you answer me this? What is it exactly? Is it a comedy? An action/comedy kinda like "Romancing The Stone" and "Jewel of The Nile"? Or is it a sappy rom-com with a little action thrown in. Cause the movie kinda interests me, but I really don't like romantic comedies. (I guess you could argue that both "Stone" and "Nile" are action with a little rom-com thrown in, but whatever.)

3. DAMMIT! Movies I'm Looking Forward To That Isn't "The Dark Knight"...DAMMIT!:
Step Brothers

(Sorry if all the dammit's had you thinking it was 24: The Movie, I just been hearing so many bad things about this movie it's kinda frustrating.)

4. I so badly want to get the Dirty Harry Collection, with all the films (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, The Dead Pool). I've only seen I think 3 of them (Dirty Harry, The Enforcer, & Sudden Impact) but DAMMIT I'm a male, I gotta own these!

5. Speaking of macho movies, I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago online and he presented with me this challenge. "Name a Charles Broson movie that isn't Deathwish, and you have 30 seconds (or something) to do it (Meaning I couldn't look it up)." I could've gone the obscure trivial route and named the original House of Wax with Vincent Price, where Charles Bronson played the mute assistant, but instead I went with "Ten Till Midnight". As far as I know, not a lot of people know about it, so allow me to tell you as much as I can.

Ten Till Midnight tells the age old story of a serial killer who likes to kill people naked. In that I mean HE'S naked while killing them. You're probably gonna think this is messed up, but I saw this movie when I was 10 or 11. My mom, being the most awesome Mom in the world, and I watched a TV-Edit of this and we were like "Ok, how are they gonna get around the dude being naked." Turns out they filmed his nude scenes (yes he was shown naked, man-meat n all) but he was wearing blue underwear. I remember cause it was also blue underwear, like he wore the same undies the entire movie, which I think takes place over several months, so that's mildly disturbing. Of course they didn't change the dialouge, so it didn't make sense of Bronson to be like "He's a naked serial killer" but they show him in underwear. Whatever. Get Ten Till Midnight, you won't regret it.

That'll do it. Thanks! And enjoy this first day of summer!
-Jason

No comments: