Monday, March 21, 2011

The Soto List: Movie Soundtrack CD List



So there's a thing going around on all the other movie blogs where they're listing songs they'd put on a CD, the songs had to be from movies (cause we're movie blogs, y'see, god forbid we break format ONCE and talk about music but whatever), then they purposelly crash on an island or something. I didn't do that much research and I didn't look at anyone elses list yet cause I didn't want them to influence me. I do know that they seem to stop at 12, which confuses me cause when I make CD's I can fit WAY more than 12. So I'm doing 20. Like I said, I didn't look that much into it and fuck it, it's my list. And to help load times, I only linked to the videos on Youtube. Most likely most of them would've had the embedding disabled anyway. Here we go, in no particular order:

1. Warren Zevon-Werewolves of London (The Color of Money)
I never understood why this wasn't featured in "An American Werewolves in London", at least for a brief moment. But we do have the honor of seeing Tom Cruise singing it, so there's that.

2. REM-The Great Beyond (Man on the Moon)
I fuckin' love this song. Just one of two songs from REM that's about Andy Kaufman. And fuckin' "Man on the Moon" is, seriously, one of my favorite GOOD movies.

3. Issac Hayes-Theme of "Shaft" (Shaft)
Sometimes I wish I had my own theme song and just have it play while I walk around the city, looking cool and shit. Fuck yeah.

4. Goo Goo Dolls-Iris (City of Angels)
I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this one but whatever, I like this song. And I haven't seen the movie, but I seen the music video enough times to know it's from the movie.

5. Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody (Wayne's World)
So when I go to other people's blogs, this song better be on EVERYONE'S list. Really.

6. Motley Crue-Home Sweet Home (Hot Tub Time Machine)
I knew about this song before the movie made it "famous", but now I just think about Rob Corrdry performing it.

7. Sponge-Plowed (Empire Records)
Honestly, I could've put the entire damn soundtrack on this list but I stuck with this one cause everytime Felicia hears it, she thinks of the movie. I just rock out.

8. Simple Minds-Don't You Forget About Me (The Breakfast Club)
Again, if this isn't on everyone's list...

9. Stevie Nicks-Edge of Seventeen (School of Rock)
This is here cause it's still in my head from watching the movie last week.

10. Elton John-Tiny Dancer (Almost Famous)
Be honest: if it wasn't for this movie, you wouldn't have known about this song. Don't lie.

11. George Baker Selection-Little Green Bag (Reservior Dogs)

12. Urge Overkill-Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon (Pulp Fiction)
I could've picked a lot from Tarantino, but I went with these two cause they're just so fuckin' cool.

13. Richard Cheese-Down With The Sickness (Dawn of the Dead 2004)
This stands on it's own.

14. Blue Oyster Cult-Don't Fear The Reaper (The Stand)
Ok it's a TV Movie, but still. Best opening to any "movie" I can think of.

15. Alice in Chains-Got Me Wrong (Clerks)
So here's a puzzler. Kevin Smith made this movie on his own but somehow got Alice in Chains to be on the soundtrack. Figure that shit out.

16. Afroman-Cuz I Was High (Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back)
While we're on the subject of Kevin Smith...

17. Lynard Skynard-Freebird (The Devil's Rejects)
Like half the song is used at the end of the movie. And I'm not complaining.

18. Dokken-Dream Warriors (Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors)
I would probably lose some street cred if I didn't include this. I hope I made you happy.

19. Metric-Black Sheep (Scott Pilgrim vs The World)
The instant I got home from seeing this movie in the theater, I immedately downloaded this song. I love it.

20. Blue Oyster Cult-Godzilla
Ok, this wasn't used IN a movie, but c'mon! It's about motherfuckin' Godzilla! C'MON!!

So that's it. Now I'll be visiting everyone else and see what they got. For some reason, I get the feeling I did this all wrong.

Fuck it.
-Jason

4 comments:

Fletch said...

Though I think you generally are a bit more metally than I, I fucking love your list. Especially for Sponge's Plowed, but for many an other as well. Werewolves of London is a fantastic song to sing along to, and Kid Rock should be castrated for the 14th time for sampling/ruining it, even if he mixed it with another great song.

And you deserve all of the shit you get for the Goo Goo Dolls. That song fucking blows. I liked the Goo Goos early in their career when they made decently rocking music and not lame ballads for chicks. Oh, and never ever see City of Angels - you'll want to pull your eyes out and stuff them into your ears.

Fletch said...

Oh, and if I'm taking any REM song, it's the actual "Man on the Moon." Far and away my favorite of theirs.

Jason Soto said...

METAL!!!! RAAAHH!!!! \m/

I agree about Kid Rock using that song. Thankfully, the original exists for us to enjoy.

And I don't care, I love "Iris". I wasn't planning on watching "City of Angels" anytime soon.

And I love "Man on the Moon" but since "Great Beyond" was used in the movie, I went with that. (Yeah, yeah I used "Godzilla", whatever.)
-Jason

Chris said...

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper is new to me, so thanks ( :