Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Day 7: Poltergeist

I really don't plan on getting to in depth with this movie. Everybody knows about it, even if you haven't seen it. It's one of the most famous (and infamous) horror movies out there. And I'll be honest, it's creeps me the fuck out. I watched it early in the morning and I'm all freaked out.

Of course the making of the movie and the aftermath is about as famous (and infamous) as the movie itself. During production all kinds of crazy shit happened. People were getting into car accidents and breaking bones and stuff. Things would happen for no reason. And of course, a few cast members died after the making, including the little girl that played Carol Ann, Heather O'Rourke.

I don't know if you remember a little while back I made a ranting post about DISH Network sorta poking fun at this movie and including footage of O'Rourke while a very much alive and older Craig T. Nelson sold us cable and how fucked up that whole thing was. The ad's didn't last too much longer after I wrote that. Not saying I had anything to do with that, but it's fun to pretend.

But like I said, everyone knows at least what the movie's about and some of the scenes from it. A typical family lives in a nice house, the little daugther Carol Ann starts talking to imaginary friends that turn out to be mean ass spirits. Soon freaky shit happens and Carol Ann is kidnapped by the poltergeists. Mom and Dad (Jobeth Williams and Craig T. Nelson) hire some ghost hunters to find her, and they bring in Crazy Psychic Lady, Zelda Rubinstein to help, who tells the family the spirits are pissed off and they're jealous of Carol Ann's ability to still be alive. So Mom goes to the spirit world to rescue Carol Ann and Zelda delievers one of the most famous movie lies ever:

"This house is clean."

Yeah far from it.

After the family decides to move the fuck out (finally), the spirits get more pissed off and form a giant vagina in the kid's closet.


And of course that damn clown:


Then there's this thing:


Clean my ass.

Soon it's discovered that the douchebag that developed these houses built them over sacred graves and only moved the headstones but not the bodies. The family gets the hell out of the house and soon it fucking impoldes into itself. Fuckin' A.

I've seen this movie a shitload of times and every time it never fails to freak me out. I hardly ever get scared at horror movies, but "Poltergeist" is in my top five of movies that do. For more infomation on all the fucked up shit that happened during and after the making of this movie, check out the Wikipedia article.

-Jason

1 comment:

Wings1295 said...

This was a good, scary horror flick. Loved it. And that clown will live in infamy!!!

Great post.