Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Soto List: My Top Ten Favorite Songs

I don't talk about music too much on the blog, probably cause this is a movie blog. But it's still my blog and I can do whatever I want. So put that in your smoke and pipe it!

Anyway, much like everything that inspires me lately, Outside The Cinema is doing a music episode on Sunday and they asked everyone to come up with their Top Ten favorite songs. These pretty much are the top ten songs I listen to A LOT on my iPod/iTunes. I dunno if this is a definitive Top Ten of ALL TIME!!!!!! or anything so don't be like "HOW DARE YOU PUT THAT IN YOUR TOP TEN!! You offend me, sire!!!!" Well, you shouldn't say that anyway cause this is MY opinion, but again I do want you all to love the same things I love and if you hate anything then you can just go somewhere.

One final note before presenting said list: I know there's hardly any rap/hip hop/whatever you kids are calling it now-a-day (why is it also called "R&B", people are retarded) on this list. It's not that I don't like rap/whatever, I just don't listen to a lot of it and as a result, it wouldn't show up in my top ten. I could make a top ten rap list next time just to cool everyone down or something. Ok so with that said, here are my top ten favorite songs. Don't hate me too much.

10. Foo Fighters-Everlong


9. The White Stripes-Seven Nation Army


8. Limp Bizkit-My Way


Ok, I'll explain this one. I know the entire world hates on Limp Bizkit, but this song, and mainly this album, got me through a lot of tough times in the past. Plus whenever I'm pissed off at someone at work, I just crank this up and rock out with my you-know-what out.

7. Kings of Leon-Use Somebody


6. Beastie Boys-So Whatcha Want

This is the one rap/hip-hop song. I had to put a Beastie Boys song on here. The problem I had was I didn't know which one. I love a lot of their songs, but if there's one I could hear over and over again, it would be this one.

5. The Cranberries-Zombie


Not cause of the message, this song just fucking rocks. And I totally kick ass on this song on SingStar.

4. Led Zeppelin-Ramble On


I needed a classic rock song on this list. Just for the record, the other classic rock song I wanted to put on this list was AC/DC's "Back in Black" but I didn't have room. So it'll just be at number 11. Sorry AC/DC fans. And I didn't put "Stairway" on here cause EVERYBODY fucking loves that song. It is the greatest song in the world, after all.

3. Radiohead-Karma Police
I fuckin love this song. The video is awesome, even if it's simplistic. It's worth clicking the link.

2. The Arcade Fire-Neighborhood #2 (Latkia)


Probably kinda random but I FUCKING love this song.

1. R.E.M-Ebow The Letter

One of my favorite bands is R.E.M so making this a top ten list of just R.E.M songs was hard. But out of all of their songs, I listened to this one the most. It's kinda melancholy but I like it. It can calm me when I'm upset or if I had a bad day. The video I'll admit is boring so I don't watch it hardly.

Some honorable mentions, the ones that'd be numbers 11 onward:
Back in Black (as previously mentioned)
Other Radiohed songs like Creep, Paranoid Android, 15 Step,
Freebird of course
Jay-Z 99 Problems and Big Pimpin
Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
Harvey Danger-Flag Pole Sitta
Audioslave-Cochise
Rage Against The Machine-Killing In The Name Of

And SOOOO many others.

Anyway, this was my list. Hopefully I don't get a lot of flack for it. Again, it's my blog, so whatever.
-Jason

5 comments:

nolahn said...

Interesting list. Never would have pegged you for a big R.E.M. fan.

All great stuff (someone else remembers The Cranberrys!) except for Limp Bizkit -- the rise of that band was the moment I started to think that maybe, just maybe, I'd reached the age where I started to despise modern rock. Sounds like Limp Bizkit was at least good for something.

nolahn said...

Also, no Richard Cheese?

elgringo said...

I like your Top 10. Everlong is so damn rad. Their first album is one of my favorites of all-time. Also, R.E.M. gets a Thumbs-Up from me. I also love another Athens band (The B-52's) pretty much more than life.

Fletch said...

I gotta say, some of your choices surprised me. I would have pegged you for being more of a straight-up hard rock/metal guy over anything else. (NTTAWWT)

Lots of songs and/or bands that I dig here. I've always liked-not-loved Foo Fighters, but if I were to pick a favorite song, Everlong would be it. As a bonus, it's a fucking tremendous video. Ah...videos, remember them?

Use Somebody? Really? It's not a bad song, but I'm sick of it and they have so, so, so many better ones. I'm a big pimper of their first two albums in particular.

I own two or three Cranberries discs, but Zombie was always my least favorite "hit" of theirs. So be it.

Arcade Fire - woot! So hard to pick a fave of theirs. They make no bad songs, and Funeral is 10 awesome ones, so I have no qualms with Laika, even if it wouldn't be my first choice, necessarily.

For E-Bow, see my Cranberries note. Not a bad song, but meh for me. I heart Man on the Moon the most from them.

Love the "of course" after Freebird.

This might be the wrong place for this, but I loved hearing some Dick Cheese on the last podcast. I've got two CDs of theirs, and they continue to crack me up many years later. Always a fun band to play to people that haven't heard of them before.

Jason Soto said...

Nolahn: I like Richard Cheese but I wouldn't put him in the top ten.

Fletch: NTTAWWT? I like my fair-share of heavy rock/metal songs but I didn't know which to pick. Pluse these 10 songs are the ones my iTunes said I listened to the most of, really. I do dig the songs. This wan't meant to be a definitave Top Ten EVER! list. And I love "Zombie" cause of how much it rocks.
-Jason